|To download the record|
|Bell tower||Curfew Tower (Windsor Castle)|
|Bell ringer||OXFORD DIOCESAN GUILD OF CHURCH BELL RINGERS|
|Ringing||Listen to the bells of St George's Chapel|
|Audio||COLLEGE OF ST. GEORGE|
|Remarks||The Curfew Tower, situated to the west of the Chapel and the Horseshoe Cloister, was originally built as part of the castle defenses by Henry III in 1227.|
In 1477, Edward IV made the tower available to the Canons to serve as a bell tower.
A substantial oak structure was constructed within the tower to house the bells and withstand the immense pressures generated by the swing of the bells.